Aloha Apartments/Belcher Professional Building/413 W Idaho Streetby Tag History added on 30 October 2013, Comments Off on Aloha Apartments/Belcher Professional Building/413 W Idaho Street , posted in Blog
413 W Idaho Street is across the parking lot to the west of our office building. Designed in 1910 by the architectural firm of Tourtellotte and Hummel for Mrs. Mary Hughes, the 2-story apartment building was located on Jefferson St. between 6th and 7th (now Capitol Boulevard) directly south of the old Capitol building.
When the 1912 Capitol building was expanded in 1920 with the addition of two wings, the City of Boise agreed to develop the block to the south as a park to create a beautiful approach to the Capitol. The Aloha, along with Collister Flats, the Sherman House, and several single family houses, was sold and moved from the location.
The Aloha ended up on Idaho Street where it was expanded with a 3rd story. It remained an apartment building until c. 1960 when businessman Chester M. Belcher purchased it. Working with architect Edgar B. Jensen, Belcher developed a plan to remodel the building, using its solid 2-foot thick brick walls to help support the expansion and remodel. Fifty years later, the building is still used as an office building. The Aloha is hidden inside the Belcher Building—but some details remain.